Don't have much time? Trying to push yourself without risking injury? Want an amazing pump? Look no further...
Do you want to have your cake and eat it too? There aren't many times in life when we get this and that. Especially when it comes to fitness. (Side note we are not saying you can eat cake!)
But there is a way to add muscle, save time, and enjoy your workout. It's by using a technique called Finishers.
Simply put Complex Finishers are a method or teqnique that uses Density, or cramming in a lot of work into a short amount of time.
The wonderful thing about this type of workout is that it creates an amazing metabolic effect or an insane pump. These exercises induce a huge amount of blood flow into the targeted muscle group, causing excellent opportunities for muscle growth as well as joint recovery.
This latter point deserves extra emphasis. Effort is always required to produce results. You have to push! you have to have intensity. But here's the problem. When we think of pushing ourselves we think of adding weight to the bar, and when we add more weight the risk of injury gets greater. The stress on your joints increases. Your form and technique becomes critical.
Complex Finishers allow you to push with incredible intensity without having to use heavy weight necessarily. They allow you to use exercises and techniques with low risk and high reward profiles.
But enough of the science, let's get into it! Well show you 5 of our favorite Complex Finishers that will cover all the major muscle groups. You can use thes workouts in 2 ways:
1. At the end of a workout to really demolish the muscle and squeeze all the juice out of the workout
2. As a quick stand alone workout for that muscle group. In fact you could combine all 5 of these for a "Quick & Dirty" workout.
With all these workouts that follow remember this tip. Set up your equipment so you can go from exercise to exercise as quickly as possible. Rest when you dead.
Chest Complex Finisher
Here is our finisher for the chest. With The first exercise you really "turn on" or activate the some times tricky to feel pec muscles. Then the smith machine mechanical drop set allows you to just focus on pushing hard. Form is always important but not as critical with these exercises.
1. Cable Foam Roller Chest Fly - 8-10 Reps
2. Banded Smith Machine Floor Press - 8-10 Reps
3. Banded Floor Chest Fly- 8-10 Reps
4. Smith Machine Floor Press- 8-10 Reps
Rear Delt Finisher
This one is for Rear Delt/Upper Back. You'll use a form of mechanical drop sets. Doing the harder exercise or portion first then immediately followed by the easier version of the range of motion.
1. Rear Delt Raise - Top Half 8-10 Reps
2. Rear Delt Raise - Bottom Half 8-10 Reps
3.Band Pull Aparts - Full Range 8-10 Reps
4.Band Pull Aparts - Partials 8-10 Reps
Split Squat Leg Finisher
This Finisher for your legs is simple but brutal. Using the same movement for all 3 exercises, you'll simply use less and weight ending with just your bodyweight. The key is not resting between legs or weight drops.
1. 2 DB Split Squat - 8-10 Reps Each Leg
2. 1 DB Split Squat - 8-10 Reps Each Leg
3. Bodyweight Split Squat - 8-10 Reps Each Leg
Glute Complex Finisher
When training your lower body we can’t forget the Glutes! Ladies, get ready for an insane glute Pump! With this particular Complex you have some options. At first you may not want to do all 7 exercises. That can be a lot. Feel free to drop 1 or 2 of these out . But if you want to go all out by all means go for it! Like all the other Complexes shown here set up so you dont have to waste time between exercises. Jump right in to the next exercise right away.
1. Banded Barbell Hip Thrusts - 10-15 Reps
2. Banded Bw Hip thrusts (Top Half) - 10-15 Reps
3. Isometric Hip Thrust Abductions - 10-15 Reps
4. Seated Floor Abductions - 10-15 Reps
5. Banded KB Deadlifts - 10-15 Reps
6. Banded BW Glute Squats - 10-15 Reps
7. Seated Bench Abductions - 10-15 Reps
Arm Complex Finisher
Who doesn't want a great arm pump?! This one will for sure give it to you. The key to this Complex is your set up. Try to have your stations close by and ready to go so you dont waste time or rest in-between exercises. You'll notice the last exercise is actually a weighted stretch. Fair warning these Iso Stretches burn! But fight it, embrace that pleasure/pain domain and smile knowing you fit into your sleeves after this.
1. DB Tricep Extensions - 10-15 Reps
2. DB Tricep Throat Extensions - 10-15 Reps
3. Cable Tricep Extensions - 10-15 Reps
4. High Cable Supinating Curls - 10-15 Reps
5. DB Incline Bicep Curls - 10-15 Reps
6. DB Incline Curl Iso Stretch - 30+ Sec
Shoulder Complex Finisher
We saved the best for last. This one is actually my favorite Complex Finisher out of the bunch! The pump and metabolic effect is intense! Some of these exercises may be refreshingly new to you. Especially the last one. The Laying Rope Press. You'll love the emphasis on the rear delts, which is so critical for long term shoulder health. At the same time the direct front delt work feels very smooth and non aggravating, even for cranky shoulders. In fact you can use this Finisher anytime you want to heal your shoulders as a Prehab/Rehab complex.
1. Rope Rear Delt Face Pull - 10-15 Reps + 10 Sec Hold
2. Rope Rear Delt Row - 10-15 Reps + 10 Sec Hold
3. Laying Cable Row - 10-15 Reps + 10 Sec Hold
4. Laying Cable Front Raise - 10-15 Reps + 10 Sec Hold
5. Laying Rope (Voodoo) Press - 10-15 Reps + 10 Sec Hold
Yes you can have it all. A workout leaves you with an amazing pump, the peace of mind you gave it your all, the safety to push yourself to the limit without the risk of injury, and all in under 5 minutes per body part. Now go out there and try it out, and please let us know how you enjoyed it!